Brigham Stepping Strong 5K Team
"No words will ever fully express my gratitude to the doctors and nurses at BWH who saved my life and legs in the aftermath of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings" —Gillian Reny
What We Support
The mission of The Gillian Reny Stepping Strong Center for Trauma Innovation is to catalyze multidisciplinary collaborations that inspire groundbreaking innovation, effective prevention, and compassionate intervention to transform care for civilians and military heroes who endure traumatic injuries and events. Stepping Strong funded initiatives are making a profound difference for trauma patients and their families worldwide. To date, the center has raised more than $24 million. But much more needs to be done.
Trauma is often referred to as the neglected global epidemic of modern society as it accounts for 43 million hospital visits and an economic burden of $700 billion per year. It is the number one cause of death for people 46 or younger, ahead of cancer and heart disease -- and every 3 minutes, someone dies from a traumatic injury. When you support a member of the Brigham Stepping Strong B.A.A. 5k Team, you are helping the Brigham turn tragedy into hope for civilian and military heroes worldwide who have suffered devastating traumatic injuries.
Funds raised by the team will
- Fund groundbreaking projects and innovators that address clinical problems impacting both civilian and military patients, including the Ewing amputation, a revolutionized lower extremity amputation first featured on CNN
- Train the next generation of plastic surgeons in advanced and innovative techniques for treating acute and complex traumatic injury with The Stepping Strong Plastic Surgery Trauma Fellowship—the first fellowship of its kind
- Transform cutting-edge research in limb reconstruction, advanced stem cell technology, bioengineering, wound healing, and other trauma-related areas
- Partner with experts across the Brigham and Harvard Medical School to reduce the number and severity of traumatic injuries through the Stepping Strong Injury Prevention and Intervention program
- Support the Stepping Strong Research Scholars who investigate bone and skin regeneration in trauma patients
- Advance multidisciplinary collaboration in orthopaedics, plastics, emergency medicine, and trauma care
- Join forces with military leaders and experts in the global community to ensure best practices in emergency preparedness